After the extension of lockdown to 17 th May 2020, and MHA new guidelines for return of various people, labourers students and pilgrims to their states various states with the help of Railway ministry have organised special trains to facilitate return of these people strictly under guidelines by central ministry.From May 1, 2020, the Indian Railways started 6 special trains to ferry stranded migrant workers to their home states. These Shramik special trains would be of help to migrant workers, students, pilgrims, tourists, and other people who are stranded in different states. Check out the full list of special trains during lockdown.
The ministry clarified that only registered people will be allowed to travel. "No one, under any circumstance, should come to railway stations looking for trains. We will not issue any tickets to any individual or entertain any request from any group or individual. We will allow only those passengers to board whom state government officials bring to the railwaystations," the ministry said.
Shramik Special” trains Pre-conditions
Indian Railways is only accepting passengers who have been brought to the station by the state governments. The Railways is operating Shramik Special trains to ferry stranded migrant workers, students, and pilgrims across the country. No other groups of travellers or individuals, other than the ones facilitated by the state governments are allowed to board trains. All other passenger and suburban train services remain suspended and no tickets are being sold at any station.
Railway SOP Shramik Special Trains
If you are stuck abroad during this COVID crisis this government will fly you back for free but if you are a migrant worker stranded in another state be prepared to cough up the cost of travel (with social distancing cost added). Where did ‘PM Cares’ go? Like I said earlier you were better off getting stranded overseas & flown back home!,” tweeted NC leader Omar Abdullah
In the SOP, the railways said the responsibility for food, security, health scanning, providing tickets to the stranded will be with the state from which the train is originating. It has however taken the burden of providing one meal to passengers whose journey will be of 12 hours or more.
Full list of special trains during lockdown
Out of the 6 special trains that were announced, one has already reached the destination.The special train carried 1200 passengers from Lingampalli, Telangana to Hatia, Jharkhand. 5
more special trains that have already started or soon to start from their starting stations include trains from –
Nasik to Lucknow
Aluva to Bhubaneswar
Nasik to Bhopal
Jaipur to Patna
Kota to Hatia
List of Special Lockdown Trains for Migrant Workers Run by the Railway
The Railway and MHA have started six special trains for Shramik, Workers, Students, and other stranded passengers in the following routs.
- Telangana to Jharkhand
- Nashik to Lucknow (For UP- Maharashtra)
- Nashik to Bhopal (For MP)
- Jaipur to Patna (Bihar-Rajasthan)
- Ranchi to Kota (Rajasthan-Jharkhand)
- Aluva to Bhubaneswar (Kerala-Odisha)
The state government shall issue food packets and drinking water at the originating points, it said. It will be mandatory for all passengers to wear face covers. “The originating state will encourage all passengers to download and use Aarogya Setu App
How to book Shramik special trains during lockdown
- Only the people identified and registered by the state government would be allowed to travel on these special trains. According to the MHA guidelines, bulk tickets for registered workers would be provided by the state itself. So there is no sale of train tickets for individuals.
- Stranded migrants, pilgrims, tourists, students, and other people across India can travel to their home states after contacting the nodal officer of their state and giving a valid reason for the travel.
- The Ministry of Railways has appointed nodal officers, who will act as a coordinating liaison between stranded passengers and the respective State/UT.
- The nodal officers would register all the stranded people within their State/UT. The passengers would be screened at the sending states and only asymptomatic people would be allowed to travel. The state governments will carry these people in sanitised buses to bring them to the sending station.
- The ticket fares would be borne by the respective state government and hence the passengers are told not to buy anything from the train as meals, water would be provided. For long-distance trains, the fare is inclusive of meals and water. After reaching the destination, passengers would receive food and water at their receiving station as well.